Hope CommUnity Center is hiring a part-time Community Organizer for immigration. HCC is a grass roots community organization that works to stand in solidarity with immigrants and all who are tenacious and courageous against all systems of oppression. We are seeking a passionate, strategic, and dedicated leader to work with colleagues and external partners alike to bring meaningful positive change to Central Florida’s vulnerable communities. The organizer will lead a small group of community members, and volunteers to create and implement a strategic community organizing plan to build 50 committees to create long-term power in Central Florida. This would be done through training in political education and leadership training. This individual will listen to the community, create community-led local campaigns for social change. We are looking for a leader with a strong equity lens to social change and they will support internal and external process for personal, organizational, and societal change.
Essential Functions and Tasks
- Engage with community members and assess their needs.
- Assists community members with preparation of forms for Medicaid, taxes, unemployment, and food stamps.
- Provide information and or refer community members to public or private agencies and community services for assistance.
- Provide resources, guidance, and support to newly arrived immigrant families.
- Track client services and utilization of Hope Community resources.
- Contact and meet with community partners to build and maintain organizational partnerships.
- Assist with addressing food insecurity by providing donations of food and by referring community members to other organizations when needed.
- Assist with the creation of a “contacts database” inclusive of partnering organizations, resources, and community services.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or equivalent work experience preferred
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good listening skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Desire to be a team player who works well with other staff.
- Basic computer skills and knowledge – word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Patience, resourceful, compassion, flexibility
- Ability to relate to people of different cultures and traditions
- Good decision-making skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Bilingual (English and Spanish or English and Portuguese)
Please email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Lynn Devanie, at 407-880-4673, ext 222