Job Title: Brightwood Afterschool Elementary Tutor
Supervisor Title: Afterschool Tutoring Coordinator
Objective: To serve as a dedicated tutor to elementary-aged students, providing academic support in reading and/or math and homework assistance both individually and in collaboration with tutors and staff.
- Assist students with homework, school projects, or other academic responsibilities.
- Get to know your students’ personalities: likes, dislikes, talents, hobbies.
- Learn about students’ abilities, emotions, and confidence levels regarding school, academic work, tests, etc.
- With the assistance of program coordinators, provide additional practice materials (books, games, worksheets) for each subject or skill area.
- Help students to organize their backpack and store their schoolwork; encourage them to always bring their materials.
- Use positive reinforcement to reward students for doing the right thing, including but not limited to: doing well on academic work, being respectful to others, remembering to bring their materials.
- Communicate any needs, concerns or suggestions to program coordinators.
- Contact program coordinators ASAP in case of absence.
Qualifications: Ability to connect and communicate respectfully and responsively with elementary-aged children. Knowledge of elementary-level reading and math skills. Openness to working with a variety of personalities with different life situations. Ability to ask for suggestions or help when needed. Reliable transportation.
Time Commitment: 1 to 2 hours/week. Tuesday and Thursdays from 3:30 pm – 5:00 pm. Fall semester is September-December, and Spring semester is January-May.
The tutoring takes place outside from Hope CommUnity Center at the Brightwood Manor Clubhouse located at 838 W Kelly Park Rd, Apopka, FL 32712
Training and Meetings: Attend tutor orientation, plus meetings scheduled during the semester. Attend HCC service learning immersion day at least one time in the year.