Job Title: ESOL Teacher / ESOL Teacher Aide
Supervisor Title: Director of Academic Support
Objective: To serve as a dedicated English teacher to adult students from a variety of social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Teach an English class of 20-30 students two nights per week, two-hour sessions.
- Follow the HCC ESOL curriculum.
- Learn about Popular Education methodologies, language teaching strategies, and participatory learning from Hope staff, and apply this to classroom teaching.
- Get to know your students’ personalities: likes, dislikes, talents, hobbies.
- Observe students’ abilities, emotions, and confidence levels regarding learning English.
- Communicate student feedback, needs, concerns to program coordinators.
- Share your own observations, needs, concerns with program coordinators.
- Attend training and teacher meetings and be open to observations and suggestions from program staff.
- Contact program coordinators in case of absence.
Qualifications: Ability to connect and communicate respectfully and responsively with adults. Basic teaching or public speaking experience. Basic knowledge of English grammar and phonetics. Enthusiasm about incorporating students’ lives and knowledge into the curriculum. Openness to working with a variety of personalities with different life situations. Ability to ask for suggestions or help when needed. Reliable transportation.
Time Commitment: ESOL classes will occur 2 times per week, and each session is 2 hours long. Volunteers can commit to one or both days per week.
Training and Meetings: To Be Determined